Wednesday, May 1, 2013

On Favorite Bands

Howdy folks -

Music is a funny thing, isn't it? One of my thousands of readers told me yesterday that she had not been the biggest fan of some of my music choices and I thought to myself - "Well, how could that be? These songs are generally poppy, interesting, etc." And it got me thinking....about music, the nature of music, the nature of fandom, what being a fan of a band is all about...hell, even what "favorite band" means and how it happens. So I decided to ruminate a little on the concept and share my thoughts on this phenomenon. And before we go further, let me say that I really just appreciate the reader giving the songs a chance!

I have been a music fan since as long as I can remember - whether it was the 80s hits filling my mom's minivan to the music I listen to on my ear buds as I'm walking through the streets of DC - it gives me energy, makes me think and, most importantly, makes me feel. Feel something. Those feelings are never pre-determined...that's the beauty of loving a song - sometimes it brings you back to where you were, other times it takes you to where you're going, and sometimes it simply let's you be. I've been listening to a song on repeat fairly often from what I would consider to be my absolute most adored band - Manic Street Preachers. The song's called Tsunami, and you can hear it below. It came out in 1997, so it's a little over 15 years old now. Where were you 15 years ago? I was 14. I imported the CD from Woody's Music in lovely Matthews, NC, a small record store where the owner would actually import music for me, from CD singles to full LPs...for a price. This CD probably cost me $20 at the time - imagine paying $20 for 12 songs today! It's unthinkable.

Thinking about listening to that song 15 years ago, I wonder what I thought about it as I heard it? I love the song for a lot of reasons - the arrangement, the non-traditional instrumentation (for a rock band), the jumping strings in the chorus, the lyrics, the charging bridge...basically, I love everything about this song. But would I love it if I didn't love the band? If I heard it with new ears and no background? I honestly can't say. That's the thing about having a favorite band - you know them. You know their history. You get their musical sensibilities. You are willing to let them take you places that you may not go for other bands. You trust them. In a way, they're your band. I can't think about the Manic Street Preachers and separate them from half my life, nor separate the songs from the band members, nor separate the lyrics from the music or the songs from time itself.  Even when they put out a bad album, I tend to like it just because I like them. I like the way they write music and it never fails to speak to me on some level.

When I listen to Mumford and Sons, I can't imagine them being anybody's favorite band. And yet they are. And not just a few people - millions of people would call Mumford and Songs their favorite band. How? I personally don't understand that. They're music is fine. They are fine. They aren't terribly interesting or exciting, but they make decent music. I could listen to The Cave on the radio and be perfectly happy. But I wouldn't go buy an album of theirs. Maybe if I saw them live I'd have a different opinion, but really, I shouldn't have to see a band live to live and breathe their recorded output. Same is true for Dave Matthews - another band that I find to be perfectly fine but couldn't imagine seeing them live once, forget hundreds of times like their most dedicated fans. And The Lumineers? Forget it.

But that's the point isn't it? Music is so much more than the song. Just like movies are more than the film, and books are more than the words. It all lives in your mind. You take pieces of yourself, pieces of the artist and pieces of the artistry and create a mosaic that only you can see, hear and feel. I share these songs because I love them. Of course I hope that you do too, or that you at least give them a chance. I share the lyrics because often the words spoke to me. Sometimes they didn't, but when you have a format, you follow it :)

If you've read this far, you might as well listen to Tsunami and see if you hear what I hear. Even if you don't, I appreciate you trying. It was a Top 10 hit in the UK in 1998, which probably demonstrates how different their musical tastes are from ours, but it stands on its own merit in my opinion.



For you my dear sister
Holding onto me forever
Disco dancing with the rapists
Your only crime is silence

Can't work at this anymore
Can't move I want to stay at home
Tied up to all these crutches
Never far from your hands

Tsunami tsunami
Came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami
Came washing over me
Can't speak, can't think, won't talk, won't walk

Doctors tells me that I'm cynical
I tell them that it must be chemical
So what am I doing girl
Cry into my drink I disappear

Eyes for teeth grating over me
Bring down the shadows of my mind
Sleep and breathe under our sheets
Inhale the anxiety in - between, in - between, in - between, in - between

Tsunami tsunami
Came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami
Came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami
Came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami
Came washing over me

Through September under the weather

In - between, in - between, in - between, in - between

Tsunami tsunami
Came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami
Came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami
Came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami
Came washing over me

Take the GI's I will have the spies

3 comments:

  1. OK, a lot going on here! First, thousands of readers? Please tell me what I'm doing wrong! ha!!

    Next, I love how you slammed two folk(y) bands that you know I have a weak spot for (obviously). I am just going to assume that you hate folk music in general, but I will say that there should be a certain level of credibility given to music whose sole purpose is to make people drink too many beers and dance barefoot in the dirt...or mud if they should so choose. :) I tend to exhaust my brain on a daily basis and get very little sleep at night so if a song can make me go blank with happiness, then I pretty much give them my bank account numbers.

    I do totally understand what you mean when you say that certain music leaves you with something or takes you somewhere. The arrangement or quality of the music can often times be much less important than the significance of the moment you were in when you heard it. For example, Champagne Supernova will forever be one of my favorite songs...not because it was a mainstream hit...but because it represents a clear memory of my youth that my brother and I shared (the same goes for many Guns N Roses songs, so we obviously aren't talking quality there). Ha!

    Now, about this song in particular that you have posted...I can't say that I would have picked it out of the crowd but I did enjoy how it immediately reminded me of this song...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meU4cxhdjJI
    And that, for sure, made me happy!

    xo
    jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant millions. But my pageviews seem to indicate tens. :-/

    And LOL, I didn't choose those specifically to spite you (well, maybe Mumford...), but they seem to be the biggest *bands* in the US at the moment - they actually get played on Top 40 radio, etc. I could've slammed Fun. too! Another band that I couldn't imagine anyone saying is their *favorite* but hey, I love Some Nights (the song) as much as the next person.

    I don't mind folk music - I'm in love with this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJjeWDvh6J0

    And I also really find myself loving the Wagon Wheel cover by Mr. Hootie sans Blowfish.

    Primarily, I'm not concerned with loving the way music makes you feel so much as I'm thinking about how that translates into that band becoming someone's "favorite" band, but the criteria are so different from person to person that it's impossible to generalize.

    I obviously love Champagne Supernova and was one of Piedmont Middle/High School's biggest Oasis fans (if not the biggest...and still love them to this day).

    Finally - great song choice...love the sitar similarities and of course, who doesn't love Love Actually? Who would claim to be that Scrooge? Not me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Wagon Wheel....I (almost) hate that I love that song so much!
      And funny that you should mention the Merry Go Round song...Brad is not a fan of folk but he said he likes this song because of the play on words...he said it was surprisingly clever.

      Side note....if you would have said you didn't like Love Actually I would have probably cancelled my subscription to your blog. Kidding (maybe).

      Delete